2011 was the 60th Anniversary of Calling Lakes Centre!! Sixty years ago visionary people heard the whisper of the Spirit and dreamed of creating a special place where lay people could learn and grow as leaders in the church; a place where their education was promoted and nurtured. What a dream that was -- to build the Prairie Christian Training Centre on the prairie hills in the Qu'Appelle Valley on the shores of Echo Lake.
Who would support such an undertaking? How could the financial and personal resources be found to succeed? Dr. Bill Clarke, the first Director of the Centre, along with other key leaders such as Elmer Leaker and Wilbur Howard, responded with total commitment that often meant great challenges involving both themselves and their families.
On July 1, 1951, the Prairie Christian Training Centre became a reality. Dr. Bill Clarke travelled far and wide throughout Saskatchewan and Manitoba and Northwest Ontario Conferences spreading the vision and gathering financial and personal support for the Centre. Many, many people put their hands, hearts, and souls into the building and growth of PCTC, as it affectionately came to be known.
Their great work continued for years and the dream grew and grew, inspiring United Church folks throughout Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario, and beyond. The name Calling Lakes Centre was later chosen to more ably reflect the inclusiveness of the programming and hosting, and the location of the Centre.